Re: [TowerTalk] low band antenna without good ground

To: "'Alex Malyava'" <alex.k2bb@gmail.com>, "'ROBERT HARMON'" <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] low band antenna without good ground
From: "Mike Baker" <k7dd@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:14:54 -0700
A number of years ago,(1971?) a fellow in Colorado obtained a pile of 9" X
9" concrete reinforcing wire mesh. It uses a wire about 10 or 12Ga and is a
welded mesh sold in matts that were 4 X 8.  He took them to a Plating
company (probably Denver Metal Plating) and had them acid washed and hot dip
galvanized.
They were laid down as a ground screen and mechanically joined with either
split bolts and hardware or some type of compression clamp. Straps of copper
tied the sections together near the feed point of his tower (fed the tower
for 160M) and connected just above ground. Checked it out, liked what he
saw, covered it with a sprinkler system and SOD.  Nice.
Lots of work and I am sure a few $$$ but a very nice ground plane.

I don't recall exactly how many matts of wire he said he obtained but it was
something in the 3 digits range. 100+?
I know it covered about 4 acres of land because there was a bunch of pallets
of sod to be laid and perhaps 20+ people installing it!

Don't recall his name nor his call, he lived on a hill in Northglenn
Colorado and I think he owned 160 and 80M. I saw WAS and DXCC on his shack
wall and both were for 160M.  He had a NEW Drake C-Line for gear.  ;>)

I just wish I had about 9 of those matts today...

Mike Baker  K7DD
K7dd@cox.net
All QSO's are uploaded to LOTW and EQSL.