Re: [TowerTalk] TX-455 holes

To: John Hudson <jd_hudson@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TX-455 holes
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 22:26:47 -0700
Just went through the same with a new UST HDX589, 4 bolts per leg and
wasn't sure I could get even 1 bolt into the rear leg after raising,
pivoting on the bottom bolts in the front.

However, with some struggle by threading in the first bolt, it did go
together but did lead me to look for an appropriate 1 1/2" "spud wrench"
on ebay that has a long tapered tail for hole alignment.  I did find
that tightening the first bolt made it possible to get in bolt 2,
tighten it and then bolt 3 etc.

Now I'm searching for the proper torque value for these bolts (1"
A325).  My engineering calcs from UST have no callouts.  The Portland
Bolt torque chart says 1063 to 1271 ft-lbs (!!!) which is going to take
one heck of a torque wrench and several NFL linebackers.  What is really
necessary?

Another question is what should the base embedded rod nuts be torqued
to?  They are 1 1/8" A36 threaded rod. If tightening against a leveling
nut perhaps the bolts specs are the target but would that be too high if
tightening against the embedded rod?

Grant  KZ1W