Re: [TowerTalk] K0XG Orbital Rotor on US Tower HDX589

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] K0XG Orbital Rotor on US Tower HDX589
From: "Andre VanWyk" <kr5dx@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:55:28 -0500
Steve,

I mounted a Tic-Ring on a US Tower before right at the end of the 2nd last
upper section and it lasted just fine. I think a good habit of a crank-up tower
owner with "substantial" load on it, would be to monitor weather and have it
cranked down if something bad is on the horizon.... I only use motorized
towers, so to crank it up or down when not in use is fairly easy.
My problem with the Tic-Rings were lack of customer support, so I am exploring
other avenues. Needless to say, I am well aware of the load limits on my
towers, so I am approaching this with caution, hence my post.

I now live in Northern MN, and since I mostly operate weekends, it is fairly
easy to press a button to crank the tower up and down again if I do not plan on
playing radio for a few days.

I am afraid I share the same concerns with the weight of the much heavier K0XG
ring, and option B would be an additional crank-up to carry the rest of the
antennas.

In my opinion a crank-up is NOT a substitution for a Guyed tower, and you have
to live with it's limitations. However, for my current operating habits, and
all the cussing I did climbing up my Rohn 55G back in TX to remove Tic-Ring
motors and replace bad potentiometers, this seems like a much nicer idea for
the amount of time I have for my hobby at present...

Thanks for your comments / suggestions and for this reflector!

KR5DX

PS: That is why we do have insurance and pay the outrageous premiums, right?