Re: [TowerTalk] 10M phased verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 10M phased verticals
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 11:57:16 -0800
On 11/29/11 10:06 AM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> You ask "is it worth it to make a 4 square array of 5/8 wave
> verticals?"
>
> First we need to determine if it is POSSIBLE to do that.
> I've never seen a published example of that, and my gut
> feel tells me it isn't practical.  4 square
> arrays use 1/4 wave verticals.  You can extend the analogy
> to 1/2 wave vertical dipoles fed in their centers with baluns.
> But I don't see how 5/8 wave verticals fed at the bottom
> would work that way, and it isn't clear what the optimum
> spacing should be.

I would assume the spacing is independent of the type of radiating
element, whether 1/4 wave vertical, 1/2 wave elevated dipole or
something in between.

The spacing between the elements and the feed phases determines the
pattern after all.

However... a cookbook design might not work, because using antennas
other than the original will have different mutual Z between elements,
so a casual feed network probably won't get the phases right.

If you have a way to generate feeds with the correct phases (the 1/4
wave current forcing thing with a lumped phase shift network seems a
good candidate), then you should be able to make it work.