Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: "N6FD" <n6fd@hughes.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: "David Jordan" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 12:10:45 -0500
I run a cage vertical on 40m in the middle of the woods, no problem.  I run
an 8 element 40m Jamaca antenna and a 4 element 80m Jamaca in the same
woods, no problem.

Perhaps as one fella said the concern is much more relevent at 20m and
above, esp 10m.   But for the low bands the trees are a significant benefit
esp when one considers that without the trees there would be "NO" antennas
on those bands.  Try to operating without an antenna some time...even with
your Heil headset in DX mode, the compressor cranked all the way up and the
ACOM bouncing on table on voice peaks... you might work the kid across town!

Sure, if one has 100 acres of grass lands then signals from wires stretched
between towers might measure somewhat better than the same type antennas in
the woods but the reality is there are more hams who have trees and woods
then those with $1M dollar tower farms ;-) and large DX clubs to help
maintain those antenna farms.  For the 99% the wires in the woods are great!

73,
Dave
wa3gin