Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: Rik van Riel <riel@surriel.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 13:53:51 -0500
On 12/27/2011 01:22 PM, Mike Ryan wrote:
> Rather than have to guy wire one of my two verticals at my qth, I stood one
> up within the branches of a 20ft or so tall tree in front of my house. It
> helps disguise it as well. It is an HF2V that kicks but. The last thing I
> ever worried about was a little absorption on HF. If this were a VHF/UHF
> vertical, that would be another story. On HF? I doubt there is a lot of
> difference.  - Mike

Some people apparently have noticed a lot of difference.

However, in this thread the person who noticed the most
difference, also had the tallest & widest trees...

I imagine a wider tree not only captures more radiation,
it also has a lower resistance to ground.

Likewise, a smaller tree will probably have a higher
resistance to ground, while radiation of even shorter
wavelengths will go around it easily.

I do not know if my thoughts correspond to reality, but
this thread seems to have caught enough people's attention
that we may be able to figure this out together...

--
All rights reversed.