Re: [TowerTalk] G-1000DXA failure with lower mast clamp

To: Barry N1EU <n1eu.barry@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G-1000DXA failure with lower mast clamp
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:31:24 -0800
I noticed that a used G2800 I bought had Helicoil inserts in the base
holes.  I don't know if this was a retrofit or factory install. In
either case, Helicoils substantially increase bolt pull out ratings in
aluminum.  So I would suggest that part of the fix is to install
Helicoils in the good three holes.  You can buy a kit of inserts, the
special tap, insert inserter, and correct drill at auto stores or on
ebay (or MSC or McMaster).  Another advantage is that Loctite thread
locker will work well on the stainless steel inserts where it is less
effective on aluminum in the grades commonly available.  The blue,
medium strength is what I would use since disassembly will be possible.

The Helicoil inserts are available in various lengths, so in may be
possible to drill deeper than the stock holes and insert a longer
insert.  Usually 4 or 5 full thread engagements provide full strength in
aluminum so that may work for the broken hole.  Given the bottom is a
die casting I would try for more threads engaged.  I note the stock
holes and bolts are at the low end of enough thread engagement on the 3
Yaesu rotators I have, even with a supply of 8mm bolts in various
lengths.  I would add that the insert drilling and tapping should
definitely be done on a drill press or better.

If that won't work then the damaged hole fix gets more difficult.
Depending on the base material it may be possible for a heliarc welder
to rebuild the material and then Helicoil it.  Another alternative is
high strength metal filled epoxy, there are some pretty good ones.
McMaster has several, see
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3378/=fjpiwm   P/N 7500A4

The epoxy fill plus a Helicoil as deep as possible into the remaining
good aluminum might be ok if the other bolts are tight.

Or course, first check the cost of a new base.  Since the potential
damage with another failure is high, this might be the best fix.

Grant KZ1W