Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trees and verticals
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 11:21:11 -0700
An element that is totally non-conductive introduces no losses because,
as you say, no currents are introduced.  An element that is perfectly
conductive introduces no losses, but it does re-radiate and cause
pattern distortion (desirable in the case of a yagi, usually undesriable
in the case of a tower or steel light pole).  But trees are wet wood,
which is partially conductive ... i.e., receives induced current from
incident RF --->AND<--- dissipates it as heat.

Once more with feeling ... RF impinging on a lossy material that is
conductive enough to receive induced currents will be dissipated.

Why is that so difficult to understand?  In terms of loss, the
approximate circuit analogy would be a short versus an open versus a
resistor.  The highly conducting structure is the "short", air or dry
wood would be the "open", and a wet tree would be the "resistor".

Dave   AB7E