Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Insertion Loss?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Insertion Loss?
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:26:24 +0000
Just to illustrate that last point:

Consider a perfect 50 Ohm load connected to a source through three 6ft
lengths of 50 Ohm lossless coax with Vf=0.66. The three lengths of coax
are joined with two connectors. Assume the connectors introduce an
impedance discontinuity equivalent to a 1.2" (0.1ft) section of lossless
100 Ohm line with Vf=1.

We find that the connector nearest to the load introduces a
discontinuity which causes the VSWR on the middle 6ft of coax to rise
from 1:1 to 1.03:1. However, the discontinuity introduced by the
connector nearest the source, acting on the transformed line impedance
seen at that point, tends to lower the VSWR again; the VSWR seen by the
source improves from 1.03:1 to 1.004:1. So, in that example, from an
impedance discontinuity perspective two connectors are better than one!

Only if the line section between the two connectors was an exact
electrical half-wavelength (or multiple) would the connector
perturbations be fully cumulative.

As I said, you can't simply sum mismatch losses for each connector like
you can resistive losses.

73,
Steve G3TXQ