Re: [TowerTalk] Andrews Heliax Conx

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Andrews Heliax Conx
From: "larryjspammenot@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:48:44 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
I'm considering putting up a crank-up tower. What's the best recommended
low-loss feedline for an antenna mounted on a tall crankup tower? I know that
unfortunately you can't use heliax on a crankup, due to it wanting to kink
(except maybe from the ham shack to the top of the lowest non-moving section of
the tower, probably about 20 feet above ground.) From there, what do people
using things like the tall HDX-5106 towers use, to try to get a balance between
feedline strength and low loss? That length alone could easily be about 100
feet of feedline, if you have an antenna on the upper part of a tall mast, and
the length needed to get to the driven element.

LJ