Re: [TowerTalk] balanced line loss on a mismatched antenna

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] balanced line loss on a mismatched antenna
From: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:15:25 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for all the feedback!

As far as reasons for trying the 8JK.... Mainly I want a 40M antenna that I can
put on the same mast with my hf tribander.  The 8jk is nice cause it has some
gain and I could also tune it for the WARC bands.  I like that its a
non-resonant antenna so I wouldn't worry as much about interaction with the
tribander (that's a whole nother thread... would a 40M yagi cause me problems
6' away from my tribander).

I also thought Cebik's idea of 44' elements was to use it on 10 thru 40 without
the lobes splitting up on 10 but that was for a single element.  Maybe his
44' 8jk is a 10 thru 30 deal.   Anyway... I agree, no reason to put the thing
up if you're going to have 3db or more loss on the feedline.

I'll look at TLW when I get home.  I'm still curious if, using a different
length of feedline, I can get the SWR down below the 248:1 or 375:1 that you
mentioned in your other post.  Is it reasonable to think that by varying the
length of the feedline I can bring a huge mismatch like that down to 10:1 or
less?  And if I could, would that reduce the loss?

Starting to look like one of those lotsa pain no gain projects :)

Gary Slagel
KT0A