Re: [TowerTalk] balanced line loss on a mismatched antenna

To: Gary Slagel <gdslagel@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] balanced line loss on a mismatched antenna
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 11:14:51 -0700
I loaded your antenna description (two 44 foot long wires spaced 16 feet
apart at an assumed a height of 70 feet) into EZNEC 5+ and got source
impedances of 2.5 - j600 ohms.

The application TLW is available free with the ARRL Antenna Book.  If
you load your parameters (150 feet of 450 ohm ladder line with a load
impedance of 2.6 - j400) you get an SWR of 248:1 and a theoretical loss
of 7db.  If you load the values I got (2.5 - j600) you get an SWR of
375:1 and a line loss of 8.7 db.   Either way it's an ugly proposition
and you could expect things to be a lot worse when the ladder line gets
wet or dirty.

If you use low impedance coax the high capacitive reactance is going to
also give you a high SWR although you could more easily tune that out at
the antenna with a simple inductor, and you could tune everything to 50
ohms with a network.   TLW will also calculate that for you (just set
the line length to zero) and it says that an L-network tuner  will
itself have a loss of about 4.5 db (assuming Q=200 for the inductor and
Q=1000 for the capacitor).

I really don't see the point of this configuration at all.  You're
talking about putting up a W8JK antenna to get maybe 3 or 4 db gain over
a dipole only to throw that same amount away in a tuning network at the
antenna if you use one, or twice that amount in feedline losses if you
don't.  You'd be way better off with just a dipole (EZNEC says 22 - j600
ohms for a 44 foot element) and either:

a.  coax feedline with an L-network at the antenna.  TLW says 1 db
network loss plus 0.5 db line loss for RG-8.

b.  ladder line with a tuner at the shack.  TLW says 2.4 db line loss
plus whatever loss you have in the shack tuner.  The loss in the tuner
in the shack might be fairly small since TLW says that the impedance at
the shack would be a fairly manageable 6 + j45).

Dave   AB7E