Re: [TowerTalk] high tension power line noise...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] high tension power line noise...
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 18:02:32 -0500
On 3/10/2012 4:42 PM, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:
> My old station K4XS was about 1000 feet from some very big  lines...in
> excess of 100KV.  Although the lines were quiet sometimes, they  exhibited
> lots
> of noise in the humid early morning.  It was kind of a  "hash" noise.
> People have told me it was from a coronal effect?  In  any case I would not
> choose to live near them again.

I too am about 1000 feet from one of the high tension lines...large
metal towers. I've been here 27 years and never heard it. OTOH I've been
off all except 75 and 40 for the past  couple of years.  I do still
operate 144 and 440 FM but those are usually  not a problem.

My first real problem may have popped up since the big antennas came
down for repair.  I mentioned it on another thread.  On 20 I hear a
carrier every 60 KHz with sporadic digital modulation.  The higher
bands, 15 in particular has the noise floor at S3 today.  It also shows
up on 50.117 and 50. 148. It doesn't move the S-meter, but sure would
play havoc with working Au signals down in the noise floor.  I killed
the whole system, cable modem, router, and 8 port switch with 5 runs of
CAT6, 3 of which are 130 feet long to the shop.  That made no difference.

I'm guessing it's a neighbor's router although it could be cable leakage
as well.

73

Roger (K8RI)