Re: [TowerTalk] winch adapter

To: "John Hudson" <jd_hudson@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] winch adapter
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:31:17 -0700
> lower it if I'm gone! A lot of folks use the HD harbor freight hoist but
> I'm
> thinking about the Northern Tools since it states it'll handle more weight
> and from my calculations the Harbor Freight would real close to the limit.

1.  The biggest NT hoist I see is a so called 2000 lb that turns out to
actually be 1000 lbs.  That's not enough for anything but small towers.

2.  A hoist is a lot of money dedicated to the tower.  At least a
drill is useful for other stuff.

3.  The other advantage of my drill adapter (see:
http://www.n6rk.com/drill_adapter_for_winch/drill_adapter_for_winch.html
) is that it was the first solution that allowed you to leave the hand
crank in place.  If you replace the hand winch with a motorized one, you
have no emergency hand capability.

I recently acquired a hole hawg, however, I want to get an add on
variable speed adapter for it.  They used to sell these things years
ago.  Does anyone know of an available one?

Rick N6RK