Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 35 Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 35 Tower
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 22:59:29 -0700
On 3/16/2012 7:52 PM, Joe Barnes wrote:
> I don’t see much info out there about this tower

That's not the official name of it, but it is what it is commonly
called.  It s really an OEM part made for Motorola, and I think it's
been discontinued for years.  I was lucky enough to find four straight
sections and a pointy-top, and it's currently holding up mono-banders
for 20M and 15M.  I had a friend make a rotor plate to fit it.

For those who don't know, "Rohn 35" is heavier gauge and has wider
spaced legs than Rohn 25, but less than Rohn 45, so it's pretty robust.
I suspect you can find the "real" nomenclature for it by Googling Rohn
35 and Motorola.

I have been told that pointy-top sections should not be used in place of
thrust bearings, so you might want to consider buying a real thrust
bearing and using that if you can't find a pointy-top.

73, Jim K9YC