Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 35 Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 35 Tower
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 06:10:05 -0400
I wonder what the basis was for the advice you got, Jim.  I have used a
Rohn 25 pointy-top with a 10-foot Rohn galvanized mild-steel mast
carrying a tribander and a shorty 40 for 15 years.  At 1 RPM max, it
looks like it's good for another 15, which will be plenty, I suspect.
Depending on your rotator, a thrust bearing may be totally unnecessary
(depending on the dead-weight of the mast and antennas) or even
detrimental.  I recall a discussion in Towertalk's early days of a
common rotator - maybe an Orion - whose specs actually required a
minimum vertical load,

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com,