Re: [TowerTalk] HAM IV rotor / mast slipping

To: n8de@thepoint.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HAM IV rotor / mast slipping
From: Frank <frankkamp@att.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 10:23:33 -0500
n8de@thepoint.net wrote:

>The Tailtwister (big brother of the Ham IV) has a pre-drilled hole
>through the upper rotor housing and clamp piece.
>
>I'd pin the mast with your rotor, just as is done with the T2X.
>
>73
>Don
>N8DE

Pinning the mast to the rotator is a sure way of preventing mast
slippage.  It also puts you at risk for rotor destruction if the wind
load becomes overly excessive.  Since there is no good way of predicting
how strong the wind is going to be here in Texas,  I have preferred not
to pin the mast to the rotor (anymore).

It is a PIA to have to re-align the directional calibration every so
often, but it is an even bigger PIA to replace the rotor after its gears
get striped.