Re: [TowerTalk] HAM IV rotor / mast slipping

To: "'Frank'" <frankkamp@att.net>, <n8de@thepoint.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HAM IV rotor / mast slipping
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 10:52:45 -0500
The idea of drilling and pinning seems like a real good idea but there are
drawbacks.  I have been tempted on several occasions but have always backed
away.  I just seems like not having it pinned gives you a little safety
valve in case the wind gets too high. Would you rather reorient you yagi or
have to take down the rotator to fix a broken brake?

I have had my tower up for 11 years (120 feet with a 21 ft mast) and have
only had the yagi turn on the mast during a major spring storm once and it
moved about 30 degrees.  Other than that I have been through two hurricanes
and one other big spring storm with no problems. I use a tower company so I
don't know how tight the guys get those mast to boom bolts. Maybe your mast
is made of some real hard alloy that is causing you to get "no bite">

Bill W5VX