Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation

To: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun Recommendation
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 08:49:21 -0700
I gently suggest that a more rigorous test is in order. Particularly since
you had the cover off when you did your test.

I recently stress tested my Nye Viking MB-V-A on one-sixty. CW. VVV VVV VVV
QRA W6SX which lasted about seven seconds. Pause seven seconds, repeat.
After thirty minutes, Nye Viking roller coil and balun were slightly warm
to the touch.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com> wrote:

> I purchased a balun designs 12.5 to 50 ohm Unun a few months ago for my
> top-loaded 160 meter vertical. I was a little skeptical that they might
> be selling miniature space heaters, but I wanted something fast. As it
> turns out it worked as advertised. I ran 1KW CW into it for about 30
> seconds and then ran outside and felt the core. It was just ever so
> slightly warmer than the outside air which satisfied me that the loss
> was very low and that running it with the lid on (its in a small Cantex
> NEMA box) wasn't going to be a risk.  I can't speak for the efficacy or
> reliability of their baluns as I have no experience with them. I have no
> business relationship Balun Designs except for being a so far satisfied
> customer.
>
> 73, Mike W4EF.........
>
> On 4/12/2012 7:44 PM, Dan Hearn wrote:
> > I have built and measured many of Jims line chokes. I  like those wound
> on
> > the 2.4 cores with small Teflon wire like RG142. This will handle
> > considerably more power than the legal limit easily and you can get more
> > turns on the cores than with the larger coax.  The cheapest place I found
> > to get the coax is RF Parts. They had surplus made up cables with N
> > connectors cheaper than the bare coax anywhere I could find. I cut off
> the
> > connectors if necessary to get the shorter pieces of cable I need.I don't
> > know if this is still available.
> >    If you would rather buy the chokes complete in weather tight boxes
> they
> > are sold by Balun Designs. He has nice pictures on his web page of the
> > various ones he offers. I do not know the guy but assume he is reliable
> > .
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Jim Brown<jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
> >wrote:

> >> http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf
> >>
> >> 73, Jim K9YC

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light