[TowerTalk] Anchor bolts for LM470

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Anchor bolts for LM470
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:04:04 -0700
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 06:36:41 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor bolts for LM470

On 4/17/12 1:23 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

> ## The tower in the various pix of the TX-472 only depicts ONE anchor rod
> per corner. Anchor rods are not like rebar, they have no ribs on em. Why mess
> with double nuts. You may as well insert a single 4 inch square plate between
> the
> double nuts, then crank em super tight, like 200 ft lbs. Then no need to weld
> anything.
> Then you can really put the double nuts to some real use.

I'm not sure why you would need to tighten the nuts that much. Once
they're cast in concrete, nothing is going anywhere. It's not like the
lower nut is going to magically fall off the end of the bolt.

Maybe when you're vibrating the concrete... I'd feel better by mashing
the threads (like Hank suggested) or using a thread locker if that were
the case.

###  1.25 inch 105 ksi yield strength rod will handle  huge TQ.
Why mess with a wrench when you can put em on faster with the
air gun.   Now on the top end, I always carefully  tweak nuts
with a TQ wrench.   Sure, use the air gun to take em off.

##  have u tried mashing the threads on 105 ksi anchor rods.
Have fun.  nah,  just use a  few squirts on the  impact gun.

Jim  VE7RF