Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower work safety - Lyme Disease safety

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower work safety - Lyme Disease safety
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 00:47:39 -0400
On 4/26/2012 12:02 AM, Andy wrote:
>> We're wandering  a bit, but you don't pull or dig out ticks except as a
>> last resort.  Pulling them usually removes the tail end only leaving the
>> head to cause problems.   Light a match, let it go out, then touch the
>> rear of the tick with the still hot, match head.
> We just had a safety briefing on this very topic.  The recommendation,
> actually, is to never use vaseline, nail polish, or a hot match to
> make a tick come out.  You SHOULD use tweezers, grab as close to the
> business end as possible, and ease it out.  Just be careful not to
> grab and squeeze the back end.
>
> I am not certain of the source of information this time, but in the
> past it was the CDC.  And a paramedic.

How things change with time.
It was a safety briefing as well as published in the local news paper
about 5 or 6 years ago (+/-) to use the match.
Oops...It was before I retired so that would make it slightly before 97
or about 15 years ago.  One of the guys I worked with had it. He was in
misery and down to just barely getting around on crutches. The state and
most Doctors were denying it was even present. He just happened to go to
one of the very few Doctors that said it did exist.  I don't know how
long it had developed, but it took around a year before it was back to
getting around well.

73

Roger (K8RI)