Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower work safety - Lyme Disease safety

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna/Tower work safety - Lyme Disease safety
From: Andy <ai.egrps@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 19:06:43 -0400
W1YW@aol.com wrote:

> Lyme disease is endemic and epidemic in this part of Massachusetts, mostly
> because we let Bambi and his ilk run free to be a pest to you and me.Deer
> are  the common vector.

Actually, mice are.  Rodents are the reservoir for the bacterium
responsible for Lyme Disease.

We call them deer ticks, but they pick up the bacterium from mice, not
from deer.  The bacterium doesn't infect the deer, so the deer don't
pass it on to other ticks.

The deer just provide food to the ticks in their (the tick's) second
year adult phase.

Andy