Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel PST-61 or PST-2051

To: towertalk@contesting.com, rmthorne@att.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel PST-61 or PST-2051
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 10:14:22 -0400 (EDT)

I finished my new 80' tower a month ago.  I have  a F12 C31XR and F12
D240 2 element 40, so a similar setup to yours.  I  have a t2x but had
not intention of using as I knew it wasn't enough.   I'll use it to side
mount a WARC beam.

>  I decided on an  Orion 2800 with a Green Heron controller.

>  Amarillo is the 3rd  windiest city in the USA, so I needed something
reliable.  So far no  slipping of the mast clamp as some have had concern
for.  We have had  several, and I mean several days of 30 to 40 mph winds
with gusts  approaching 60 mph.

    Good choice on the Green Heron. MUCH better than  the factory version
which is a controller only the designer could  love.

I'll guarantee that in the near future your  mast will slip in the clamp.
It might take a couple of months but it will slip.  Virtually 100% of the
couple dozen Orions I've installed over the years  have eventually slipped. The
factory Orion clamp has a major flaw in  that the teeth do not give enough
clamping area to be of much use. My estimate  is a total of one square inch
of contact area or less. Not enough to hold the  mast reliably. The Champion
Radio Products after market clamp solves this  problem.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and