Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel PST-61 or PST-2051 (a word of warning)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prosistel PST-61 or PST-2051 (a word of warning)
From: "Andy GD0TEP" <andy@gd0tep.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 07:27:46 -0000
A word of warning about the PST61...

The PST61 looks man enough to turn most large antenna systems, BUT, that
large and strong look is let down by what you cant see...

The main body of the rotator is well built, and, in principle, would turn a
house :-)

The main body is fastened (bolted) to the lower casting (that bolts to your
tower) using only FOUR 1/4 inch machine screw, yes.. that's not a typo...
1/4 inch machine screws. The casting has no other locating pins, or
interlocking castelations...  So, please have that in mind when you buy your
rotator for your large antenna system....

I have pictures of my PST61 once it had failed here:
http://gd0tep.com/pst61/PST61.htm (and how i fixed it)

The control unit main transformer is (in my opinion) under rated if your
turning a large antenna... Where I am, the local contest group has 6
prosistel rotator, a mix of PST61, PST51 and PST2051, and we've had FOUR
transformer failures, after the first unit failed a second time, we pulled
the 100va transformer and fitted a 150va.

The prosistel design is a great idea, that in my opinion is poorly
implemented.

73

Andy
http://gd0tep.com