Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol 83-1SP

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Amphenol 83-1SP
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 22:38:20 -0400
On 5/30/2012 9:39 PM, Bryan Swadener wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> The DXE part is silver-plated w/ Teflon insulation.  The Amphenol part you
> mentioned (83-1SP-15RFX is nickel-plated with mica-filled phenolic
> insulation.  I'll stick with the DXE part.

Although the PTFE insulator is great, silver plated connectors do not
stand up well around here if they are going to be out in the elements.
Even nickle plated will start turning green in less than a year.  We may
be 200 miles plus down wind from the manufacturing area on the South end
of Lake Michigan and Chicago, but we sure do get the results from it.

> I'm far from rich but, in the bigger picture as far as cost is concerned,
> we're talking peanuts.  It would matter if I had an on-going need.  It
> doesn't because I don't. But, thanks anyway.  I bought from DXE 'cuz they're
> small compared to Mouser, they're hams, and they have the best deal on the
> coax I was looking for (DXE400MAX-500).

Most of the feed lines here are either LMR-600 or double shield 8X,  I
much prefer 8X to 58 as it's more rugged and flexible.  It'll also take
the legal limit on 40 and 20 if the SWR is low.  It doesn't work well on
75 if you want to cover much of the band.  The same is true for 160 plus
the loss due to Resistance is quite high on 160.

I've had very poor luck with the UF versions of the LMR cables because
of the jacket material.  The regular LMR cables are great.  Except for
the LMR600 I use all crimp connectors with the center pin soldered.

I tried the 240 versions but they were just too fragile.  Stiff and
difficult to install connectors.

73

Roger (K8RI)