Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna analyzer

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna analyzer
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 16:34:47 -0400
> What are the best antenna analyzers for the Ham market?  I'm referring
> to both portable and computer based.  I have not found the MFJ line to
> be satisfactory. I have used one for some years.

For PC-based, any of the W5BIG analyzers sold through Array Solutions are
good candidates.  If you don't need VHF+ capabilities, the N2PK VNA is
excellent. Mine was supplied by M0WWA who builds them to order.   The VNWA
seems to be popular and goes well up into the UHF range.

For portable and up the tower, I would look at the RigExpert VNA series.  If
you do any 160m antenna measuring, the PC-based VNA type analyzers will do a
good job of rejecting AM BC interference.  Here's a link to a N2PK VNA sweep
I took of N4NN's Marconi "T" after construction last December.  Notice the
"blips" on the resistance (Rs) curve.  The VNA software almost completely
ignores two very strong AM broadcast stations at 1320, 1400, 1460, and 1530
kHz.  All four stations are located just a few miles to the south of the
QTH.

http://72.52.250.47/images/N4NN.jpg

Paul, W9AC