Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna analyzer

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna analyzer
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 06:10:31 -0400
> Apologies for the length of this. I didn't have the time to make it
> shorter :-)  ...or to make it even longer, because that was only part of
> the story.

Ian, thanks for the excellent summary.   That could be a classic RadCom or
QST article on its own!

I think it's worth mentioning that operation of PC-based VNA devices is not
as intimidating as it may first seem.  The simple OSL auto-cal routine does
much of the heavy thinking and set-up.  In speaking with other ops, many
seem to stick within their comfort zone of a broadband detecting device, the
"Type 1" SWR analyzer you cite.  If curiosity ends with SWR, then I suppose
there's no need to consider a VNA.  But, after running a few VNA sweeps, an
entirely new world opens up with even minimal knowledge and skill.

Paul, W9AC