[TowerTalk] Fwd: Phone Pole as beam support?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Phone Pole as beam support?
From: Hans Hammarquist <hanslg@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:47:26 -0400 (EDT)
Years ago I and SM6MOM mounted a small beam on a utility pole. We used two
exhaust clamps attached to a 1 1/2" mast tube, about four feet apart. We
clamped this contraption  on the side of the pole, close to the top with two
(very) large hose clamps. The top end of the tube should stick up above the
pole, needless to say. The "nut" side on the exhaust clamps should be turned to
"dig" into the wood in the pole. The rest of the installation would be like any
rotor installation on a single tube mast.

It worked OK for several years. I would not recommend it for any large
installation as the exhaust clamps tend to "dig" themselves out of the wood
after some time. It is cheap (and dirty) though.

Hans - N2JFS