Re: [TowerTalk] VHF/UHF verticals wind load

To: Mario <marionow@gmail.com>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VHF/UHF verticals wind load
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:44:15 -0400
If you know the diameter of the element you can make a first order
approximation.  Multiply the diameter (in inches) by the length (in inches) for
square inches, then divide by 144 for square feet.  That's actually worse than
the real wind load, as it assumes no streamlining benefit from tubular elements.

A 1 inch diameter element 17 feet long would calculate out to 1.4 sq feet of
wind load using the above. The real wind load is certainly less than that.

Al
AB2ZY