Re: [TowerTalk] Crane release from tower?

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crane release from tower?
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 19:53:20 -0400
On 7/30/2012 5:53 PM, John Harper wrote:

> Please pardon the dumb question...I'm on new turf:
>
> In a couple weeks, a crane will be coming to raise 30 feet of Rohn 25
> tower (in one piece) onto the existing 20 feet already in the ground.
> How does the crane normally release from the section to which it's
> attached? That point will now be 50 feet high and I know taller
> towers are raised this way.
>
> Is the tower attached to the crane by the hook, which falls away once
> there is no longer a load on it or is there some other way (short of
> climbing up there to untie)?

Not dumb, but easily solved in a number of ways.

One way:

Ignoring the guy wire MOP for a second, one way to rig the new 30'
section is attach a rope to the *bottom* of the 30' section and run it
up through the inside of the tower, and create a large enough *eye* just
above the 50' level to hook on the crane hook.

When the new 30' piece is bolted on you only have to climb up to 20' to
dis-attach the rope, and the crane can swing away. pulling the 35' rope
away and out of the tower.

At that point you can attach your guy wires, which you've undoubtedly
pre-attached to the appropriate points in the tower.

-Steve K8LX