Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of AV-640

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Speaking of AV-640
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:00:45 -0400
On 8/15/2012 9:02 PM, Dan Schaaf wrote:
> Gregg
>
> I use an AV-640. The feedpoint box is 7 ft above ground. Any closer and the
> tips of the droopy radials get close to the ground and that is not
> recommended.
>
> It stands out in the open on a tilt over base, similar to the one GAP sells.
>
> I worked recently into D64K Comoros Island and into 9M4SLL Spratly Island on
> 30 meters with it. Both approx 9,000 miles from here in different
> directions.
>
> I also have a full 1/2 wave vertical on 40 and the two antennas perform
> equally well .
>
> Mounting it at a shed or house will be tricky. Especially when you have to
> raise and lower it to make the tuning adjustments. That is why I use the
> tilt over base. The antenna is easily walked down once the retaining pin is
> removed on the base.
>

> Best Regards
> Dan Schaaf
> =================================
> K3ZXL www.k3zxl.com
> 60 Meters www.60metersonline.net
> =================================

As long as there is a good line of sight from the antenna to the horizon
it should do well. That  means I'd rule out mounted close to the ground,
but at 24 feet it should do well as long as it's not near another
antenna.  I did have to move one of the 40 meter, center fed, half wave
slopers as it was affecting 40 meter operation.

My SO2R operation is set up to allow me to use the rig in the shop, or
the one in the house on the same antennas.

Mine is mounted on a 2" X 24' Al pole. I purchased a manual winch, a
couple of pulleys, and some 5/16"double braid synthetic rope.  Whether
mounted at the end of a building it's easy to crank up and down. I have
the rope anchored to a 10' guy anchor pole. It then goes through a
pulley on the 24' Al mast at the 10' level, through a pulley at the top
of the guy anchor pole and down to the winch.  It can be raised or
lowered in less than a minute.

Once the initial settings are done there should be little need for
raising and lowering it after that.  Basically it will cover the entire
bands from 40 through 10 and about half of 6-meters.  I only had to
adjust the frequency on 40 and six.  The other bands were OK using the
settings in the manual.

73 and good luck

Roger (K8RI)