Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on a Grounding System for my new tower

To: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on a Grounding System for my new tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 05:54:41 -0700
On 9/2/12 9:35 PM, Larry Loen wrote:
Informative discussion, thanks.

As you discuss ground moisture, keep in mind that I am in the Sonoran
desert of Arizona.  The regular well that's supposed to supply four
houses (right now, barely mine) is at least 1000 feet deep (I've
forgotten the exact number, but much deeper than what I had in
Minnesota).

If there's a water table nearby, I don't know where it is :) .  I'm
1400 feet above sea level and the nearest (dry) river, the Gila, is at
about 1150.

The ground here is fairly hard; does not retain water well.  Despite
being 200 feet at least above the nearest flood plain, we worry about
flash floods when it does rain.  Water doesn't hang around here.

Exactly.. That's why I'm not sure about the "drive rods along the ground wire between tower and house" advice. I can see "drive 3 rods in a 10 foot circle to get a lower resistance next to a power pole"

Of course, your location is the classic and original application of the Ufer ground..