Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on a Grounding System for my new tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thoughts on a Grounding System for my new tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 10:10:32 -0700
On 9/3/12 9:15 AM, Jim W7RY wrote:
All your tower and shack grounding questions answered here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.radioandtrunking.com%2Fdownloads%2Fmotorola%2FR56_2005_manual.pdf&ei=ZtdEUOzCGureigLcroHgAg&usg=AFQjCNEOc2r04mGLmXraEPGmEoqznH6KJQ&sig2=KVPI276L2uOjwU9r6NuFeA

Interesting.. they've got the same IEEE docs, but they don't give much rationale for things, other than citing other specs (IEEE, TIA, etc.)

pg 4-12 Here's a potential reason for multiple rods... Contact with unfrozen soil

And they recommend the use of Ufer grounds for new construction.

What's odd is for ground rings, they have a thing about rods.. if you have rods they have to be no more than a certain distance apart. Can't use just one rod or two... I'm going to guess that's because the purpose of a ground ring is to make the voltage uniform within the ring. Changing the local resistance to the surrounding soil in one place will reduce that effect.

Page 4-24 does talk about radials, to be used where there is high soil resistivity or bedrock and to help dissipate lightning impulses with lower current density. But that isn't for the ground bond wire between antenna site and shack.