Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-ups.....do NOT lubricate your cables

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-ups.....do NOT lubricate your cables
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 10:18:54 -0400
I"m surprised we haven't heard from at least one ex-navy man who might be familiar with their cable care routine. I know they have "oilers" whose job it is to lubricate/grease the ships cables. There are probably other jobs that involve cleaning and inspection?????

For we who are land bound I would certainly guess that environment would play an important part of what the care should entail. In my case I have a trolley with a cable that goes up across the top of the tower. The first cable was largely ignored, i.e. not much lubrication, and lasted "only" about 10 years. The second, and still present, I have oiled and/or greased at least every two or three years. It's now about 30 years and still looks like new. I'm sure it helps that I have virtually no blowing dirt or sand and no salt water atmosphere.

Gene / W2LU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>