Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-ups.....do NOT lubricate your cables

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-ups.....do NOT lubricate your cables
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 20:55:02 -0700
On 9/4/12 6:20 PM, Jim Thomson wrote:

##  speaking of cranes.  I have used 20 ton cranes, etc, for various
tower projects since 1980.....and they ALL  have  something on their
cables, none of em are dry !   Its NOT grease either,  so it must be
pre-lube 6 etc.      Im getting a crane over here for another project
pretty soon, so will ask the fellow  about the cables, and what they use
on em.

The link posted earlier referred to petrolatum (aka Vaseline) in a solvent as a cable lube, particularly with a fiber core. That might be what you're seeing.. (and for all we know, that's what PreLube is)

THis is the mfrs web site
http://www.grignard.com/Wire-Rope-Lubricants/

the MSDS says it is composed of:
Cas: 64742-52-5
RTECS #: PY8035000
Name: DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED HEAVY NAPHTHENIC
OSHA PEL: 5 MG/M3
ACGIH TLV: 5 MG/M3
------------------------------
Cas: 24937-78-8
Name: ETHYLENE-VINYL ACETATE POLYMER
Cas: 64742-53-6
RTECS #: PY8036000
Name: DISTILLATES (PETROLEUM), HYDROTREATED LIGHT NAPHTHENIC
OSHA PEL: 5 MG/M3
Cas: 61790-48-5
Name: OIL-SOLUBLE PETROLEUM SULFONATE, BARIUM SALT

Jim  VE7RF

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>