[TowerTalk] Pulley Lubrication

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pulley Lubrication
From: NPAlex@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 23:43:43 -0400 (EDT)

Steve,

Having had one LM-470 crank up cable fail because a pulley bearing had
rusted and would not turn, and the added stress caused the failure. Sealed or
not here in Florida they get water inside.  I also had a frozen bearing on
my current US 589 tower, fortunately it was on the pull down cable and not a
 high risk.

Each of these pulley bearings are of the closed , ball bearing design,  but
have had water intrusion and rusted.   Once rusted it is easy for  the
bearing balls to become misshapen and then freeze the pulley - I am sticking
with my recommendation as it has happened to me.

Norm W4QN

In a message dated 9/4/2012 1:57:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
K7LXC@aol.com writes:

>  So my recommendation is to regularly lube the cables,  and rigorously
grease the pulley bearings.  Because the pulley bearings  are deep within a
'sheave' I recommend drilling a small hole (1/8") next to  the pulley mounting
bolt so that a lubricant can be squirted directly into the  bearing

    It's probably not necessary. For years, UST (and  others I'm sure) have
used pulleys with pressed-in sealed bearings so no  attention is needed.
OTOH if your pulleys have bushings instead, periodic  lubing is a good
practice.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH