Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor Bolts US Tower

To: "Brad L. Tracey" <btracey60@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor Bolts US Tower
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:08:26 -0700
My experience with a new steel structure was quite different. All heavy structural ("red iron") steel to steel bolts were tightened with a torque wrench. In some cases to 200 ft-lbs for the A36 fasteners. It took two guys and a big torque wrench. In fact a special inspection was called out by the building permit. (King Cty, WA)

For the structure to footing embedded bolts, I think "snug" is the appropriate description.

I hadn't seen the UST FAQ when my HDX589's went up so called the factory and got the "snug" BS answer. Portland Bolt has torque specs for different bolt grades, and the 589 leg to base bolts should be torqued to over 600 ft-lbs. I stopped at 175 ft-lbs, which may qualify in UST engineering terms as "super snug". It took several passes across each leg set to get all bolts to that level. I checked them a month later and all were essentially unchanged.

Grant KZ1W