[TowerTalk] Guying Rohn 25

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying Rohn 25
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 09:49:47 -0700
On 9/9/2012 9:31 AM, Ro Grrr wrote:
R25 is strong and doesn't need guys.

We don't need no stinking structural analysis, and we don't need to understand the forces that a tornado or severe thunderstorm can place on a tower, nor the pulling force that a guy wire can place on something it's attached to, like a roof. WRONG!

YOU might have gotten away with it, but that doesn't mean that everyone (or anyone) else will, or that it is safe. No smart climber is going to climb anything he doesn't think is safe. I don't climb, but the very experienced climber who works on my Rohn 25, guyed per Rohn specs at 30, 60, 90, and 116 ft, told me that as he was building it, even with only 40 ft in place it didn't feel good until that first set of guys was installed. And 4 ft of that tower is poured in nearly two tons of concrete!

73, Jim K9YC