Re: [TowerTalk] Coax and cable loop at antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax and cable loop at antenna
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 17:18:04 -0700
On 9/9/12 5:08 PM, Rick Kiessig wrote:
How do you figure out how much coax and control cable to put between your
rotator and the antenna?

How do you secure those cables on both the tower side and at the antenna?

What kind of coax do you use there? BuryFlex or something else?

I'm also looking for a good way to secure cables to the outside of the
tower. I'm not using a Rohn-style with multiple smaller support posts.
Instead, it's a single pole, 220mm in diameter. I'm reluctant to just use
long plastic cable ties. Is there a better approach?

They make "stick on" things that look like the saddles you use with zip ties to hold cables on a chassis, but made of metal or UV resistant plastic with a bit of curvature.

To attach those, they have double stick foam (3M VHB - Very High Bond, I think) that is very weather resistant (used for holding windows in on skyscrapers, for instance). I have a 15-20 year old roll of VHB and lots of things stuck up outside for more than 5 years that are still stuck (in Southern California, so we don't get freezing very often, but it does get hot.. surface temp in the sun is probably well over 60C)

There are things which can be epoxied on, as well. Epoxy will never come off, if the surface is properly prepared.

73, Rick ZL2HAM