Re: [TowerTalk] Importance of feed line length

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Importance of feed line length
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 18:50:54 -0700
On 9/9/2012 6:05 PM, Justin Whitstine wrote:
I've been doing research to determine how important feed line length is.  I've
been reading up on this off and on for the last few weeks.

Hi Justin,

Most of us old timers who got into radio as kids learned about the things you're asking by studying the ARRL Handbook, and those of us who wanted to learn more, and at a deeper level, also studied the ARRL Antenna Book. They are still excellent ways to learn this stuff. Run, do not walk, to acquire both of these books. They are undated every year or two, but almost any used edition will work fine as a study text, so don't hesitate to buy an older or used copy.

There is, however, one significant benefit of buying a new copy -- the CDROM that comes with the later editions of both books include some useful software. Some of that software is available elsewhere, but some is not. The CDROM with the ARRL Antenna Book is especially useful. Another reason for buying newer editions is the excellent editorial work (and writing) of Ward Silver, N0AX. He's been on board since the 2010 edition of the Handbook, and is now also working on the Antenna Book now that N6BV, whose work was also excellent, has retired.

73, Jim K9YC