Re: [TowerTalk] Most reliable way to test coax?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Most reliable way to test coax?
From: Brian Alsop <alsopb@nc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 18:18:59 +0000
Here's my take on this.

Unfortunately coax has to really bad to tell that it is with the usual instruments available to most of us.

One is generally trying to measure losses in the <1 to maybe 1.5 db range. The uncertainties overwhelm the 0.5 db difference that constitutes lossy vs nominal loss.

I once tried using a 50 ohm signal generator and dummy load at the far end. It turns out if one "sweeps" frequency there are cyclic increases and decreases in loss due to the usually available voltage sampling devices impact and the residual dummy load mismatches/complex impedance components. No matter what I tried, I could not get rid of what I think were standing waves. Experiment a failure.

So if you suspect coax is old and possibly lossy, stick it on 160 or 80M and buy new stuff.

73 de Brian/K3KO