Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower HDX572

To: tcrothers57@gmail.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower HDX572
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:14:57 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Tom, before giving up on the existing motor, you might try to revive it.

If you can rotate the motor shaft by hand, it highly likely something is
wrong with the start circuit.

These motors have separate start and run windings. The start winding has a
centrifugal cutout switch wired in series to disconnect the winding when
the  motor comes up to speed.

I Have seen many times, critters build a nest inside the motor that blocks
the cutout switch in the open position preventing the motor from starting.

This scenario can be tested by removing the drive belt from the motor and
manually rotating the shaft while power is applied. If it takes off and
runs,  the start circuit is not functional.

The cutout switch is accessible by removing the four long screws holding
the rear bearing plate to the motor and prying the plate off. If you see webs
or  mud deposits, there have been unwelcome visitors building nests and all
that  debris has to be removed.

There is also a possibility that the starting capacitor has gone bad. It is
 wired in series with the same cutout switch and can prevent the flow of
starting  current.

I have seven of these type motors in various az and el drives for my eme
station and it is a typical year for one or two of them to fail and require
the  above cleaning procedure to restore them.

I would think a local motor shop could repair your motor as well if you
don't feel you can handle it.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/18/2012 7:46:01 A.M. Central Daylight Time,