Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower HDX572

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US Tower HDX572
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:53:38 -0400
On 9/18/2012 1:33 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 9/18/12 5:45 AM, Tom Crothers wrote:
Hi Everyone,  Does
anyone have any words to the wise as far as ordering one of these
available
motors?  Does anyone recommend anything else, and/or have success stories
from past experiences with failed tower motors?

Some one else already mentioned it, but look around your area...yellow pager? and find an elect motor rewinding shop. They'll likely rewind/repair the motor at a fraction of the new cost and it should be just as good...maybe better. I've even had them rewind old 1/2" drill motors.

Are you sure the motor has hard failed?  Is the capacitor good? The
capacitor switch?  If it's been sitting outside and exposed to the
elements, it might just be crudded up and needs cleaning.

If you've got a motor repair/rewind shop around, they might be able to
fix it cheaper than buying a new motor.

Usually a lot cheaper.

Induction motors are easy to take apart and pretty hard to permanently
break, so before trashing a dead motor, it might be worth spending 20
minutes to tear it apart and see if there's some obvious problem.

If it had severe damage (overvoltage or melting the insulation from
overtemp), then rewinding is an option, but for <1 HP, it's usually
cheaper to just get a new motor.

Maybe so and maybe not. Get a quote. Even the old drill motors I had rewound were cheaper and a lot more rugged than the stuff sold now days.

when I was installing the guy anchors for the 100' 45G, I purchased a new, heavy duty, hammer drill of a well known brand. I was drilling 1" holes in 1/2" steel. On the 5th hole I felt it losing torque. It started blowing thick smoke followed by flames by the time I could let go of the trigger. I had been using it less than 5 minutes and I had just brought it home from the store. The old drill would probably break your arm before doing that. Back then Industrial meant you could pretty much pull the trigger, lean on it and let go once the hole was drilled. The new, double insulated ones are not nearly as tolerant of heat and/or they are not built for continuous duty.

I took the drill back and they gave me a new one, no questions asked, but I did tell them if they wanted to look at it, they'd probably want to do it outside because that thing STUNK! Actually the carrying case was hot to the touch, so they took my word. I think some one was going to look at it and I heard some one shout, "Don't open it in here!" <:-)) That think was rank!

I asked for the heaviest duty hammer drill they had. Unfortunately that was it. So, being careful and going slow I was able to finish the 20 holes I had to drill.

Having said all that, if you really want to get a new motor check electrical supply houses in your area and see if they can get one like what you have and what would be the price.

73

Roger (K8RI)