Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - PL-259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline - PL-259
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 12:26:34 -0500 (CDT)
On 9/24/2012 11:38 PM, K8RI wrote:
> The half inch compression fitting is fairly close fit to the PL259
> barrel. Not exact but close. Just take your coax connector into
> Lowe's or Home Depot...or your local hardware store and you'll find
> some that fit.

yeah, i've had lots of fun with hardware store clerks... they want to help but
just can't understand why my pipe is full of foam and what that strange silver
plated fitting i want to put on it is.

another way to do it if you want a female connection on the cable is to get a
1/2" copper coupling, take the center out of a barrel connector and solder the
shel into one side of the coupling, then hacksaw a slit in the other end,
solder the center pin onto the center conductor and put the coupling on the
hardline... secure with hoseclamp.  you can use adapters to step down to 1/2"
for larger hardline up to about 1", just solder some braid on the center
conductor to step down to the center pin on the barrel.