Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Loop

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor Loop
From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 01:06:27 -0400
On 10/9/2012 4:07 PM, KD0Q-Glenn wrote:
I'm getting ready to build coax jumpers for the rotor loop on my tower using the
"2-3 turns around the mast" method.  It will be a bumndle of 4 coax feedlines
using Davis Bury-FLEX.  Does anybody who used this method have pictures?  Any hints from
experience?

I don't have any good photos of the rotator loop on the 45G, but I had 5 runs of LMR400UF (very poor cable for outdoor use I use Davis BuryFlex(TM) for all rotator loops now) They were taped together in a bundle. About a foot below the top plate, the coax went through bulkhead connectors in a 1.5" Aluminum angle X 1/8" thick. The cable for the loops connected to the bulkhead connectors and was then tywrapped to one corner of the top plane with a large, black, tywrap. With the rotator set at mid range/rotation there were 2 1/2 turns laid out on the top plate getting consecutively smaller in diameter, like a watch spring. The bundle was then taped to the mast about a foot to foot and a half above the top plate.

NOTE: The jacket on the UF versions is rubber like and does not stick to the braid. It catches on rough spots and bunches up, or wears rapidly on the galvanizing on the top plate. After 6 years (or there abouts) the jacket had lost integrity on all 5 runs while BuryFlex is far more durable.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Thanks,
Glenn/KD0Q