Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Attach a PL-259 to a 1/2" hardline

To: K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Attach a PL-259 to a 1/2" hardline
From: Missouri Guy <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 02:20:11 +0000
FWIW...I needed connectors for the 1/2 aluminum coax
quite a few years ago.  I didn't think of K8RI's neat idea
of the brass fittings back then.  What I did was to make
an adapter-sleeve with a ~1" length of 1/2" i.d. aluminum tubing.
The tubing fit over the standard PL-259 connector
and the coax.

I found a thick steel washer in the junk box
that is about the same size as the CUTTER WHEEL in a copper tubing
cutter.
I rounded off the edge of the washer and installed it in the
cutter.  I then used the "cutter" to ROLL two indented rings
on each end of the aluminum tubing (4 rings total).  That worked, but I
found that the aluminum coax was TOO SOFT to "fuse"
to the aluminum sleeve.  I solved that problem by making
some hard plastic inserts that "just fit" inside the coax.

I removed the foam inside the coax with a homebrew
hollow "drill" made from a chunk of mild steel so the
inserts could slide in.  It worked well and the connections
are still good many years later.

Yeah, you may have to use a small lathe to make the inserts, but I know
some of you have one in your shop.  Those inserts may be needed
*IF* you find that the brass compression fittings that Roger used
are somewhat loose when compressed over the soft aluminum
coax.

73,
Charlie, N0TT