Re: [TowerTalk] 30M Beam

To: "'Barrie - Yellowstone Photo'" <barrie@yellowstonephoto.com>, "'steve jobes'" <w1dxh@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 30M Beam
From: <chetmoore@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 23:00:38 -0500
Hi steve & Barrie,

I have had one of the force 12 WARC-7 beams up for about 5 years now.  Now
that we have the club log thing,  dxpeditions
Are spending more and more time on the warc bands because many of the  top
50 most needed countries have never been activated
On the warc bands.   Before the Warc 7 went up I really heard very little DX
on 30M using 30 M  sloper, or loading the 40M beam
With a matchbox on 30.  Nothing I tried worked well.  All of that has
changed with the Warc-7 at about 55 feet.
I had some initial concerns with the wire clamps that are used to tune the
antenna on 30M but after  2 hurricanes (we are 7 miles
>From the water here)and 5 winters,  I have not had a single problem.
Several of the locals have been in the pileups on 30 m and not been
Able to get thru to places like vu4, 5W, so the came over here and snagged
them within 5 - 10 minutes.  It took them longer to
Drive here than it did to work the dx.  I never was able to beat N4BAA  on
30M when he lived here with his  4 el 30 M beam but we were
Not far behind him. With this antenna, our time in the pileups has been
short.  Most of my time since November has been spent
In the major contests.  A quick glance at the last page of my regular
non-contest 30m log shows ZL9, 5W1, V84, 4S7 PT0S and a lot of Europeans.
I would highly recommend this antenna to any 30m enthusiast. As for the
other warc bands, there are a lot of antennas like the
Steppir,  A3WS and others that cover 12 & 17 meters but Two or more elements
on  30 Meters?     Not quite so much competition on 30.
This antenna has low SWR across all the warc bands and with a relatively low
weight and small footprint.

I have one of the AB-577 rocket launcher towers attached to the end of the
house.  The warc-7 was initially set on the rocket launcher
For tuning.  It performed quite well at 30 feet just above the peak of the
roof for a couple of months until I moved it to the other
Tower.

73

Chet  N4FX