Re: [TowerTalk] galvaniizing heat treated steel

To: SPWoo <jj_2_woo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] galvaniizing heat treated steel
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 10:40:47 -0800
On 12/28/12 10:28 AM, SPWoo wrote:
Good questions Jim.  I called the tube supplier and they told me the
tube is stress relieved but not quenched as in traditional heat
treatment.  The 'SR' designation in the description denotes stress
relieve.  I did a google on 4130 stress relieve and it appears it's done
at about 1200F.  Hot dipped galvanizing is done at 830F.  I did some
research on galvanization of high strength steel and it appears that the
process is highly dependent on the chemical composition of the steel.
Steels with yield strength higher than 150ksi encounters
'hydrogenembrittlement'.  To get an answer on this from an expert I sent
an e-mail to a person at the American Galvanizers Associastion at the
recommendation of my galvanizing supplier.  My galvanizing supplier uses
the same process for all steels with yield strength less than 150ksi.
For steels more than 150ksi they use a different process.

Very interesting.. so it's very much a matter of making sure that everyone involved knows what's going on. That is, you wouldn't want to take that tubing down to Bob's Corner Galvanizing and tell them "throw it in the tank with the rest of the stuff"

You are correct if some of this is overkill.  In my case I do get a lot
of wind here and I'd rather be safe than sorry.  Another local ham lost
an antenna with the same mast that the 4130 replaced. That mast is the
M15R sold by US Towers.  The material for that mast is low carbon
structural steel with a yield strength of only 36kpsi.  For me it's
better safe than sorry.  73.

Exactly... for a few hundred dollars on a $10,000 installation, it might not be worth agonizing..

And, going to 120ksi from 30ksi would double the "wind speed rating" of the system. I'm not sure, in fact, that you could even get the same failure load on a solid 2" bar of 30ksi as you could with 1/4" walls of 120ksi: the middle just doesn't carry that much of the load.

In fact, I just ran a simple calculation.. a solid 2" bar is only about bit more than twice the strength of a 2" OD tube with 1/8" walls of the same material. For 1/4" walls, you only pick up 60% by going to solid.

There's more to be gained by going bigger in diameter and thinner walls.