Re: [TowerTalk] galvaniizing heat treated steel

To: "'Jim Lux'" <jimlux@earthlink.net>, "'SPWoo'" <jj_2_woo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] galvaniizing heat treated steel
From: "Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 13:55:12 -0500
>From a metallurgist, heat treating will help a lot with the strength.
Fatigue load is about 50% of the ultimate.  However, this is on a perfectly
polished bar.  Any sort of oxidation or other flaws, such as a nick will
reduce the life by a lot.  Easily determined from any strength of materials
or fatigue book.  Galvanizing will also reduce the fatigue strength
considerably.  You need to look at the loading of the mast to determine
appropriate size, loading, etc.    Fatigue is generally not an issue.

A single overload is not generally damaging to fatigue life - on the
contrary, it is often beneficial and it introduces some plasticity.

Regarding hydrogen embrittlement, it usually comes from corrosion.  Failure
mechanism is from static loading or very low strain rates.  A good plater or
galvanizer would do a simple hydrogen embrittlement relief - 350F for 24
hours to preclude this from occurring from the galvanizing or plating
operation.  However, should the coating be damaged, then the zinc acts as an
anode, and hydrogen is formed.  If the steel has a hardness of greater than
36 hrc, then it will be prone to hydrogen embrittlement.

Most steels - especially 4130 are "killed" meaning that they have a bit of
alumina added during the steel making process.