Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Earthing a tower

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: Earthing a tower
From: "Eugene Jensen" <eugenejensen@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:28:17 -0500
This keep coming up from time to time and being a retired electrician the
NEC  has been updated in the late 90's.   There is requirement for a ring
ground and it's all laid out in code. The information is ready available
from lots of sources and all hams with or installing a tower should follow
code. Besides the house you save is yours. I helped a friend of mine with
his electrical system after he took a super hit and if he had been in chair
when it struck he would had been killed. On inspection I found over the
years the tower had corroded the connection's away at it ground rods. It
came in on the coax's and to find it pass to ground return by the electrical
line's.  When I installed both of my towers under permit it had to pass
electrical inspections.  Also just a point of information either use cad
welds or proper mechanical approved  clamps in your grounding system. 73
Gene AA4VX